Ronan: I’m always straight.
Adam: You are literally the gayest person I know but go off i guess.
Metal box. Function2: Metal cutting dies decorative scrapbooking craft. Stamp sea. Klotski puzzle. 6.7*11.4cm. About 31 x 63mm /3.1cm/1.22" x 6.3cm/2.48". Sandals. Lf7887. Hit link. Lf7482. Silver. About 22 g.
9.18cm. Tag die. Metal hearts dies cutting for scrapbooking. 3pcs flower background craft dies. Wooden die. For diy craft.. Amount: :Toy squeeker. Detail 3 : Craft dies: 1 x cutting die. Photo background cutting dies. 50pc5a23586. Sticker placement: Drop shipping: Card dies cutting. Same as monster stamp. 12cm;9.5cm;7.5cm;5.5cm;3.8cm;2cm.
Closeout sale. Leaf cutting dies. Lqw3275. Hollow frame designScrapbook metal dies book. Feature 2: Marital : F1116. Bstaofy dropshipping. 8 piece/set. Slgift. 17041001A872 girl. The difference between differen. F1415. Snijmal voor kaarten. Wholesale crafts and arts
Flower cover. Scrapbook cardboard. Yj10928. Metal umbrella design die cutting dies. 115*106mm. 17061901. 0203-2. Style : Estel metal cuting die. Heart cutting diesUsage3: Lqw2171.
the raven king countdown → day six
Most heartbreaking moment
Such a damaged thing
I think the most heartbreaking Raven Cycle moment is in The Raven King (though it is not the one you think it is), but I actually think this Adam moment in The Dream Thieves comes in close second. He’s already had to endure quite a few heartbreaking events, such as losing his hearing and his family home and stability in quick succession, but the worst moments to write for him were actually not events but thoughts.
I know too many people stuck in this place: they’ve removed the cause of their trauma, but they haven’t realized that they are still actively traumatized. In DT, Adam academically knows the consequences of long-term child abuse, but he hasn’t yet realized the portability of his abuse. It doesn’t matter that his father isn’t living in the room next to him. He’s living in Adam’s head, and that sort of life — freed from physical reality and set free in a world of damaged thoughts — is lasting and insidious. For Adam to admit that he’s been broken by abuse is a powerful step towards moving on, but in DT, he’s still too far in it to realize that his clinical analysis of his own worthlessness is not clinical at all.
Money, a car, a home that looks nothing like the one he grew up in. Someone to want him. Adam thinks all of these things — any of these things — will make him happy. And it’s true that they’re things that would make his life easier or different. But DT Adam doesn’t realize that he could get every single thing in that list and still not be ok. He can’t work his ass off at Aglionby to magically make himself feel like he’s worth something. He can’t annex the entirety of Virginia to his father’s memory to be free of pain outside the state lines. Being wanted by Blue Sargent or crushed on by Ronan Lynch is not going to make Adam love himself any more.
I admit freely that I don’t really know if these scenes are he artbreaking to anyone else. As a writer, I bring my own baggage, and for me, much of the agony of Adam in this part of his journey is knowing people who have never gotten any further than he does in this part of the series.
wow i love the raven cycle and its incredible cast of characters,
“Will you tell me your name?”
It’s St. Mark’s Eve and with the Raven King coming up I decided to make a drawing for it!
theravengirlz asked: i noticed that you've gave us st. marks eve presents in the past (last year you gave us a snippet from the opal story if i remember correctly) i was wondering if you would do the same this year. perhaps a sneak peak of the dreamer trilogy...😏
Well, since you asked.
Happy St. Mark’s Eve.
It won’t be what you imagined, but it’ll be just as good
Declan: Are you even thinking about going to college?
Ronan: I’m thinking about becoming a life coach or maybe a mime.
When the gangsey opens up glendowers tomb:
Hi everyone, here are my (copious) notes on St. Mark’s Eve! Listen to Ravin’ Girls Episode 1: Finicky Camaros ( #) for the discussion. -N
Ravin’ Girls Ep. 1 - Deep Dive: St Mark’s Eve
From Wikipedia: St. Mark’s Eve is the day before the feast day of St. Mark the Evangelist. In liturgical Christian churches, this feast of St. Mark is observed on 25 April of each year; thus St. Mark’s Eve is 24 April.
- Maggie has said that she discovered the folklore of St. Mark’s first through researching ley lines, and that information influenced the creation of Blue’s “curse”/prediction of death/true love.
- James Montgomery (pub. 1906) and John Keats (1819) both wrote poems about St. Mark’s Eve (Keats’ is unfinished). Montgomery’s work is more relevant to how the night is treated in The Raven Boys. Ref. poem excerpt (1) below.
- There were several fortune telling devices associated with St. Mark’s Eve, all of them seeming to indeed revolve around true love or death. Of note, Ethel Rudkin (1936) wrote in Lincolnshire folklore records: “On St Mark’s Eve all those who are going to die, or to be married, can be seen by anyone who watches in the church porch at Midnight, as they come into the church in spirit on that night.”
- This appears to be a mostly Engli sh custom, from the 17th through the 19th century.
- Ghosts can be seen entering a church between the bell tolls of 11pm and 1am; supposedly the ones that are to die sooner appear earlier in the night. Watchers are admonished to keep silent, which seems to be a theme for all of the fortune telling.
- Some say you need to fast, some say you need to wait three nights (in a row? On different years?)
- A Vice article tells a story of a clergyman who saw his own spirit on the corpse road one St. Marks vigil; see excerpt (2) below.
- Chamber’s Book of Days notes a different way to tell the deaths: a spirit will walk through the hearth ashes, and then the shoes of that person would be marked by ash the next morning. It also notes that a “malicious or wanton person” could take the shoes to the hearth themselves, leading another person to believe that they are to die in the coming year.
- Unmarried women can predict their future husbands in several ways on St. Mark’s Eve:
- Hanging her nightclothes/smock before the fire, and an apparition of her future husband would appear to turn the smock. (Fire scrying is a type of scrying.)
- Setting a nut in the fire, saying the name of the intended and a charm (“If you love me, pop and fly, If not, lie there silently.”), and if the nut “hops” away from the fire then it is true love, if the nut is consumed then it’s not meant to be. (See engraving of divination by nuts taken from the Chambers Bros. “Book of Days”, Edinburgh, 1869)
- The making of a “dumb cake” The name may derive from “doom”, meaning “fate” or “destiny”, though I also saw it attributed to the fact that you’re not supposed to speak while making the cake. The “Dumb Cake” is associated with several holidays including St. Agnes’ feast day. Many different charms or recipes can be found, all seemingly made with inedible ingredients. Read “Notes and Queries” recipe below, excerpt (3).
- There are some reports of fatalities from Dumb Cakes due to the inedible ingredients.People also choose to put in herbs/plants that had the potential to be hallucinogenic (and poisonous), mistletoe being chief among them.
- There is a small fly named after St. Mark that hatches during this time, lives a very short time, then buries itself underground.
- Sweetly, though unrelated to the English folklore, Venice has a tradition of exchanging rose buds as a symbol of “love eternal” on St. Mark’s Eve.
It’s that holiest of Raven Cycle holidays, St. Mark’s Eve! Here, have a crapton of research, including poetry and images, from the Deep Dive of the very first Ravin’ Girls podcast episode. As usual, more than you ever wanted to know (unless you are a TRC nerd like we are.) Check under the cut for all source links and such.
👻👻👻HAPPY ST. MARK’S EVE! 👻👻👻
Reminder that Declan is literally ONLY one year older then Ronan. People seem to forgot.
On that note reminder that Whelk is ONLY 24…